July 19, 2005

Exercise


I thought about translating one Filipino book into English just to see how the style gets affected by the language. This one is from Bob Ong's Ang Paboritong Libro ni Hudas:

Kinailangan kong lumabas kanina at pumunta sa supermarket para bumili ng mga pang-araw-araw na gamit tulad ng sepilyo, pomada, deodorant, mothballs, at Yupi Gloworms Gum Candy. Natagalan ako konti dahil sa kahahanap ng murang sepilyo, at sa pagkukumbinsi sa sarili ko na hindi ko kailangan ang Pacencia Biscuits at Sunmaid Raisins. Pero sa bandang huli, talo rin ako. Nakita ko na lang ang sarili ko na nagbabayad na sa counter para sa mga nabanggit na pagkain na wala naman sa budget. Inisip ko na lang na dapat ko rin s'yang pagbigyan paminsan-minsan, tutal pera n'ya naman 'yon. Medyo nakakasama nga lang ng loob dahil wala man lang akong nabiling snacks na para sa akin.

I did translate it word for word, and from that I observed that the humor hadn't been retained in it. The second draft of the translation has that feel of sarcasm (I think) from the original:

I went to the supermarket a while ago to buy some daily essentials like a toothbrush, pomade, deodorant, mothballs, and Yupi Gloworms Gum Candy. It took me a while to look for a cheap toothbrush, and to convince myself that Pacencia Biscuits and Sunmaid Raisins are not essential. "Myself" buying all those items in the end. Well, it was his money. I just wish I'd convinced him to buy me some snacks.

Maybe it's the way I use English that the "funniness" of the article was lost, or I'm just a bad translator. Maybe it's the latter, but that's not the point. The point is, this whole exercise got me thinking about Philippine comedy. I'm only aware of two kinds: no brainer slapstick, sarcastic laugh at the audience's physical deformities. And the spoof, of course. And plays. I have never seen a decent stand up comedy yet. That doesn't mean of course that it doesn't exist, but it must be rare.

Anyway, the original piece is mildly sarcastic and is a feel-good comedy (I am inventing new genres, ladies and gentlemen), the kind that makes you good and happy in the end. In English, it sounds like a sarcastic blog that doesn't make sense. If I don't change the wordings, the piece isn't funny at all:

I had to get out a while ago and go to the supermarket to buy everyday items like toothbrushes, pomade, deodorant, mothballs, and Yupi Gloworms Gum Candy. I was delayed from looking for a cheap toothbrush, and from convincing myself that I don't need Pacencia Biscuits and Sunmaid Raisins. In the end, I gave in. I just saw myself paying on the counter for the said food items not in my budget. I thought that I should give in to him once in a while since it's his money. I just felt bad because I didn't buy any snacks for myself.

It becomes funny because of the weird English. Now that's sarcasm.

I'll be gone until the end of the month. By that time the site will change in appearance. Be excited. See you in a month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

weblog
stories
profile
links

Prologue

The entries written here are based on true stories. Whenever possible, non-factual events and situations are labeled to distinguish the real from the imagined. Yes, sometimes the author can tell the two apart.